View Single Post
Old 2012-06-25, 16:54   Link #979
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It's the last 15 minutes that really mess things up. Until those last minutes, I read most of the series as being about Korra and her fears (fear of being irrelevant in a new age; fear of not begin a good Avatar; fear of not finding someone to love; fear of losing her main personal identifying quality - being the Avatar; fear of Amon; etc), but since none of these fears were really addressed in the finale (she never really overcame her fears), it's hard to argue that the show wasn't simply about premise. So, I will concede the point.

I definitely agree that, over time, the characters of Last Airbender were more interesting. But, just looking at the first 12 episodes side-by-side, besides Aang, and to a lesser extent Katara and Zuko, the characters in Last Airbender weren't particularly interesting. Similarly, besides Korra, and to a lesser extent Tenzin and Tarrlok, the characters weren't that interesting.
I had no connection to the characters for the most part - including Korra - for the entire series, so the last 15 minutes were moot for me in that respect. YMMV. As well, YMMV with TLA - I found Aang, Katara, Zuko and even Sokka (who probably grew most as a character over the series) more interesting even in the first 12 eps, because there was a real sense that the show was about them, and they weren't just there to move the story.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote