Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 21:14   Link #2288
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that the point of the entire arc is that people tend to have regrets in their lives. If we carefully go over our pasts, I'm sure that most (if not all) of us can find moments that we feel we could have handled better in retrospect. Now, some of these moments are just small things, but other moments can be pretty big.

We can feel like the mistakes of our past lead to a failed romance, or a broken home, or failing to get that career we dreamed of, or of not doing better in school.

And I think the point that this latest arc is making, with how Aoki moved on from a past love and how Iori rejected Heartseed's offer, is that the people we are now is due (in large part) to all of our past actions and choices - Both the good and the bad.

Even if we could go back in time and fix all "the mistakes", would that not constitute denying who we are right now? And if we did fix all "the mistakes", is it possible we'd lose something in the here and now that we value? - If Iori made all the "right" decisions as a kid, would she still have grown as close to her friends as she did, for example?

I think Iori's story in the latest KC episode is about living without regrets, or rather accepting the mistakes of the past as contributing to who we are today.

Unlike Dawnstorm, I found this pretty compelling, and in fact it hit home with me. I certainly can think of things in my past that I'd like to do differently if I had a 2nd chance, but then what would I lose in the here and now by doing that? Would I even still be posting here on Anime Suki, for example?

So I think the message of this latest arc is something of a self-actualizing one, and of one of not allowing past regrets to consume you.