View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 13:50   Link #119
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I didn't say useless. I said "replaceable". McDonald's wouldn't be a successful fast food chain without its burger flippers, but they're not precisely hard to replace when one of them quits.

I'd also question what you mean by "accomplish". What does that even mean in this context? It's not like the Classics Club is an actual detective agency solving actual cases. And if all we've got are the cases we've been presented... If we take Houtarou out of the picture, what do we have?

No janitor case, and if there is, it's eventually dismissed as an indeterminate mistake. Or maybe they solve it eventually. It's not that hard.

The book: they never figure it out by deduction, but Satoshi hunts down one of the borrowers and ask.

Sekitani: they stay on one of the wrong deductions, they know it's wrong, Chitanda stays unsatisfied, but they never figure it out.

The movie: they never figure out anything, and just use one of the three bad solutions by default.

Of course, if we take those three out of the picture, then Houtarou never gives a rat's ass about any of those mysteries and does nothing. But what basis is that to claim superiority?