Thread: Ubuntu Linux
View Single Post
Old 2007-10-18, 07:58   Link #298
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Ubuntu seems to be officially out now, but the MD5 sums are the same for the ISOs i grabbed from the pool address last night. So I guess I had gutsy a little bit earlier then the average bear.

Anyways I dove in the deep end and went for a full disk encrypted install. First time for me to do it and I had to use the alt installer which is text based. I thought I'd give it a bash and then nuke it today when the official version came out. But it was so easy, very smooth install and the only app missing was truecrypt, but that is the case for all the new distros.

The GUI is smooth as OpenSuSE and much better then Mandrake. Very very nice.

Only thing that might confuse a non techie is how to have a single sign on with multiple encrypted drives; but thats not too difficult and i'll knock up a how to if anyone on asf wants it.

So ease of installation on par with OpenSuSE, but OpenSuSE is more flexible. But since it can do full disk encryption from the get go Ubuntu wins.

Has more apps in the repos then OpenSuSE so wins there too.

Other then that I've enjoyed using both distros. I'm pretty sad that I couldn't give Fedora a bash on my lappie and have a fairer comparison. But it would have defiantly lost on the ease of installation scoring.

Oh keep in mind that this is all based on my old Fujitsu Siemens lappie and it isn't very Linux friendly