View Single Post
Old 2010-06-16, 07:53   Link #11096
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

@Oliver

I think you need to see this with the right perspective. Umineko isn't just a mystery novel, it's a game. Or at least this is how Ryukishi sees it.
In a game you need to create various challenges to entertain the players. Some of these challenges aren't strictly necessary to reach the end of the game their just there to give the players additional content to play with.
So you don't need to think that anything that is mysterious is relevant for the main plot. It might be, but it might not.

I think that it's absolutely clear that since EP1 Ryuukishi wanted everyone to believe that the police found some kind a slaughterhouse scenario which would clearly point to a murderer.
Just read the ending scroll of EP1 it was cleverly constructed for that end. Hell, how many fell for that? Almost everyone I'd say. Even the generic term used to refer to "the site of the incident" is so much commonly used to refer to "crime scene" that the witch hunt opted for this translation, even 'though there is actually no reference at all about any crime.

And the finishing blow was telling that this event later became known as "the rokkenjima murder mystery" although we know this is how wild speculators and "witch hunters" call it, and not the more serious media.

Seeing through this kind of deceptions is what Ryuukishi consider "scoring" in his game. And he also stated that he doesn't want to give a readily available answer to those who didn't find the truth. He wants to extend the "winners" monopoly over certain truths as max as possible. Which is why he couldn't tell you right away that what happened in Rokkenjima was some kind of incident. He left tons of hints in EP4, and when he thought it was apparent enough he just dropped the bomb (quite fitting metaphor...).

This kind of pattern can be seen everywhere in umineko. Ryuukishi doesn't reveal things out of the blue. He first slightly hints them, then he heavily hints them, and only after they have been speculated over and over again he confirms them.

The lack of information about the incident in EP4 can be just a narrative expedient created for this end.

But let's just suppose that it's as you say and there's a deeper reason for all this. How exactly knowing the kind of incident that happened can give us hints about Beatrice's nature? I can't even imagine a scenario where I could get some relevant information. Maybe you can help with that?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote