View Single Post
Old 2012-09-21, 23:10   Link #296
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I assume you had never watched Letters From Iwo Jima or read the book it was based on.
Actually I've done both, good stuff. Still, can't really use those as historical reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
That's the "Samurai Ferocity" I referring to here. Don't waste your life and defend your homeland tii you drop dead. WWII GIs at Iwo Jima had a immerse respect for surviving Iwo Jima vets.
Not sure what you're trying to say here, did you mean to say not instead of dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well that and from my understanding, Japanese propaganda basically made it looks like death was preferable to capture by the Americans...particularly the Marines. Demons that brutalize, rape, and eat you alive I believe was some of the propaganda being spread in the months leading up to Iwo Jima and Okinawa. It was those battles that lead the Allies to believe that if they invaded Japan there would be millions dead, with more of them being Japanese that either fought to the death, or comitted suicide to evade capture by the invading demons.

Thus the Atomics were used. Something worse than demons...the actual fires of hell itself. Be it that Japan was going to surrender already or not doesn't change what was going though the heads of the American military commanders after seeing what happened on Okinawa.
Whether the nuclear bombs should've been used is a whole other can of worm entirely. However, if Operation Downfall did go ahead, there is little doubt there WOULD be millions dead, the substantial majority being Japanese civilians.

In Okinawa alone, the total number of casualties numbered over 300k, more than the number killed in the atomic strikes. Adding the fact that there would be increased air campaign leading up to the actual invasion (firebombings in Tokyo alone killed over 100,000), the large number of military and civilian casualties in the ensuing battles, massive destruction of infrastructure and a blockade around the island, you're looking at millions dead by starvation alone.

And this isn't even taking into account of the fighting that continued on in other areas such as the Philippines and China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I wouldn't want to see Japan use WWII as an example about the code of conduct if something was to be used in training new recruits arriving from partial conscription or from voluntary enlistment (if done thanks to ads as it's done in Canada, the US and the UK). Going to the 1880's modern bushidō should be enough as much as the German Bundeswehr retained their finest traditions that were not stained by the Nazis.
Certainly nothing wrong with that, most established military services in the world usually have their own code, a warrior's ethos so to speak, though it's something that works far better with a volunteer force rather than a conscripted one. That being said, I would imagine the JSDF already have something similar, even if it's not a straight adaptation of bushido.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I don't mind serving my time if my superiors were half has incompetent, gutless and submissive as they are. A wayward soldier from another unit challenges him to a no-holds barred fight; pick it up, don't just send that kid to the detention barracks. And pick up the damn MP5 and your abseiling gear and lead the assault instead of asking the squad to "make do" just because someone in the squad broke his leg - it is not like you have anything to do back at the command center because YOUR superior is the one making the decision, he still needs your feedback anyway right? There is only 7 men left, there is a reason for even-numbered teams.
Heh, good officers are a rarity, can't say I've seen all that many of them in my years. That being said, if someone did sustain major injuries during a routine training exercise, the officer usually do have stuff they'd have to do (usually a bunch of paperworks), at least for us anyway.

Quote:
Oh yes, and that bureaucracy. Three lives again this year, and it is only sensible to note that these heatstrokes only start to occur in the recent years when we changed out a new load-bearing vest that covers everything and traps all the heat.
Yikes, though if you ask me that's more on the NCOs and the troops themselves. If you know your working condition can lead to heatstroke, you need to be pounding those waters and know when to give the troops time to rest

Quote:
And that crap gun. Oh yes that crap gun that never works after a humid waterborne raid, funny selector positions, overweight, impossible to 99% clean and explodes after wading through mud. And if your enemy is just round the corner you are dead because there is no bayonet mount.
Hah, that's the same everywhere man, there are ALWAYS more carbon deposits to be found, no matter how much time you spend cleaning them damn rifles

Last edited by kyp275; 2012-09-21 at 23:25.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote