View Single Post
Old 2008-01-29, 08:55   Link #110
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The Good
4. The development of Nanoha and Fate's relationship with one another. The two had a lot of cute, nice moments in Striker S that was very charming. The exact nature of their relationship remains debateable, which may or may not be a good thing. One good thing about it, I suppose, is that both fans who perfer to think of them as just close friends (including Nanoha/Yuuno shippers, for example), and fans of a Nanoha/Fate yuri relationship, can feel comfortable and contented with how their relationship is delved into here. Still, part of me would have perfered either a confirmation, or a rejection, of the "they're actually a yuri couple" position. Personally, I tend to interpret them as a yuri couple, but the lack of any kissing makes it a bit ambiguous.

The Bad

1. The complete lack of follow-up on any "normal human" character from Nanoha or Nanoha A's. It would have been nice to have seen Nanoha talk to her parents, or her siblings, or her original two close friends from school, at least once or twice in the anime. A young woman her age should have some contact with her family, given that her family was always presented as a good one.
I agree with your two points here.

Although, I don't consider Nanoha/Fate a yuri couple. I tend to think they're just very close friends. I don't find it entirely unlikely that close friends of the same sex who aren't in a relationship would sleep in the same bed. I think those scenes were a perfect opportunity to clear up any ambiguity subtlety, such as Nanoha and Fate simply sleeping a bit closer together. I've slept in the same bed as another guy before; doesn't make me gay (and I'm not). Just means there weren't enough beds in the place at the time. Aside from that, I do think the relationship development between the two was very nice, and showed how much progress Fate had made since the end of A's (A's epilogue doesn't really show you anything in that sense).

As for your second point...

NO. KIDDING.

That really irked me how Suzuka/Arisa and Nanoha's family were completely removed from this series. Not a mention at all. I would've thought at least one episode would be devoted to a trip "back home." In the first episode, I thought it was a little bit of foreshadowing when Subaru mentioned that despite her family being descendant of people from Earth, her father and sister had never been there. I figured that was good for a trip to Earth at some point in the series. Guess all I got were those Cherry Blossoms at the end! Really didn't seem right to totally cut out Nanoha's family and the school friends.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."