View Single Post
Old 2012-08-24, 15:30   Link #52
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
The fact of the matter is that Smoker has been depicted much more closely to Garp than Coby has AS OF NOW.
you're basing that on actions and power which is correct in a sense. but in another sense, emotional impact wise, smoker is not on coby's level. i can't see luffy ever identifying with smoker as he does coby. smoker and luffy aren't on the same level from luffy's POV. smoker is an older attack dog and luffy doesn't really care about him. in the very least, luffy doesn't take him seriously (not that he takes many people seriously anyway) but coby, like luffy, has a dream and an ideology and even though they are opposing, they each take each other's dream seriously and respect each other for it.

i can see it both ways and certainly smoker is more there right now as you say, but story-wise, i think coby has more of a chance in developing into that garp-like character further down the road.

as for helmeppo.. lol i doubt oda will try to mirror the past characters that identically, but who knows? he can do pretty much anything and make it work somehow