Thread: Licensed Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (BONES)
View Single Post
Old 2009-07-10, 07:27   Link #99
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post

Just a few things I'm wondering about though. Being earthquake-prone as it is, isn't Japan supposed to have some sort of early detection system? Also, aren't Japanese trained to dive under the tables at the slightest hint of an earthquake?
It is astronomically to accurately predict a major earthquake. You'd probably win the next Nobel prize if you came up with a way that accurately predicted an earthquake and gave people several hours of early warning.

I live in Japan so I can say this much, Japan does have an early warning system. When it does work every TV or cellphone will have earthquake info displayed on it. However, it doesn't always work, and when it does work you usually only have maybe 10 seconds of warning. Though 10 seconds could mean the difference between you turning off your stove or it flipping over and burning house down with you inside it.

In this case they didn't get a warning, and... I doubt it would be possible to even stand let alone move to a safe location during a 8.0 magnitude earthquake.

Anyhow, the anime made me feel a little queezy. They've gotten Tokyo spot on. Everything about Odaiba is rendered in detail, even the retarded tourists who take pictures of themselves in front of the mini statue of liberty. I've been to Odaiba, and I've stood where the girl stands in the show as the earthquake occurs. Odaiba is also where the huge plastic Gundam stands... Is Gundam > Earthquake?

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote