View Single Post
Old 2011-02-10, 08:30   Link #23
HimOsiris
第六隊隊長-Dai roku tai taichō

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Geez, I'm shocked at all the dub hate in this thread.

There are some really good dubs out there. There is nothing intrinsically better about Japanese dubs over English dubs. I'll admit that there are some aspects that tend to make the Japanese dub the better dub, but it's not a hard rule that you can apply to every single show ever.
Actually He struck a sensitive topic here as in Dubs Vs Subs, so its not about the dub hate in this topic its about ethics and of course about availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
And most people are going to be reading the subs when they choose to listen to the japanese version.So unless you know japanese then it doesn't make a difference.
And to both of you...
Things Interesting in Subs/Raw compared to English dubs:

1) Original Japanese sound effects, which btw do get tampered in dubs, are much more better and well suited with video.

2) I don't want to hear a samurai speak English when he is so so Japanese. Just as you don't like a Geisha doing Ballet dance or the Hula Girls wearing kimono.

3) Originality is maintained and things are not lost in translation. OK there is some loss in subs but there is total whitewash in dubs. In subs at least you can compare what he said. Say for instance "Kisama & Temee" (using Romanji here in lieu of Hiragana てめえ, kanji 貴様) becomes whatever abuse the translator likes without any consistancy. Take another example Suki, Dai Suki, Aishiteru, kanshin - are all translated into love in I love you context whereas they mean like, like a lot, love (shiteru for verb), care respectively. No regard for degree, wth?

4) Personally its feels better and touching in the context when japanese girl shouts or cries instead of a sensual american voice. Don't get the wrong idea i just mean emotions are better conveyed.

Maybe there should a thread in this regard somewhere....