View Single Post
Old 2008-08-06, 12:47   Link #1266
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Turning lead into gold is actually possible nowadays, but it requires such a huge amount of energy that doing it for a profit would be completely idiotic.
Not only is it possible, its been done too. A nobel prize winner called Seaborg did it.. not that he got the nobel prize for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirali1985 View Post

Well, I can't claim to speak for the whole world either, but I can speak of my observations of a third world country, Pakistan. Majority of people are religious (although many are not), even if they do not engage in debates or deep philosophical musings on religion. Does that make their belief habitual, or superficial? I can see why some might think so, but it isn't that straightforward.

It's more that one is brought up to take religion for granted, a constant, something to not be questioned or analyzed too deeply. As long as one knows religion well enough to know what's right and what's wrong......then why spend time fishing further? Like you say, there are other exigencies in life.

Yet people will still identify deeply with Islam. For instance, people will get emotional in the name of Islam and injustices committed against other Muslims worldwide. In times of family crisis, you'll see family members spending more time in prayer and contemplation. When a great disaster strikes, religion and "It was Allah's will" is what people hold on to.

This is something i agree with completely as well, something i've seen a lot of. While it may seem superficial, its actually quite the opposite. As amirali pointed out its seen as a constant, something thats a given, something that is not to be questioned. So, it naturally isnt questioned. Religious fanatisicm.. is frightening to say the least, because such a vast number of 'fanatics' are often so ridiculously downtrodden. Having said that, I find that ( and only recently actually discovered so.. ) that non-religious fanatisicm is even worse ( if its at the same level). Although, its not quite as easy to find instances of non-religious related fanatics ( nowadays atleast ). Which again brings us back to the dark side of religion, which has been pursued to death already

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2008-08-06 at 13:18.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote