View Single Post
Old 2006-05-08, 11:49   Link #17
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I personally try to find a way in the middle. Meaning first that I care to be at pace with current season's show. Let's say at least 5 of them, with the "patiently week after week" formula.
This because I find very fascinating to partecipate, sometimes as a simple lurker, more often as active writer, to the discussions about them. An old show doesn't get much discussion about it (unless it's very famous, but that would be a particular case - I always talk about what's average, on tendency). Talking on nowadays, something like SHnY or Higurashi always brings up interesting stuff to read as well as pics, parodies, amv to watch.
That's why I believe it's important to keep the pace with the times. It enriches my anime knowledge a lot. And brings friends too, friends who will be good then as for exchange of suggestions, of analysis on eventual divergences on point of views.
A friend which words I believe could convince me to give a show I rejected a second chance, or all the other way around.

At the same time, I keep my anime storage of shows aired previously. Those show, that at earlier time I decided to postpone on my schedule. Often, in facts, I prefere to wait for a show to finish, then to burn it (in my country the anime releases are near nothing, and besides rarely meeting my tastes anyway) on dvd.

And I always try to keep 2, but at least 1 "old" (old is very subtle here, old may mean also a show aired last winter) show.
Watching these shows is amazing. It's basically like a travel to the past with the eye of the knowledger of the future. It's interesting, in example to see how this now unbelievably famous seiyuu was like earlier in his/her career. It's beautiful to compare art and animations of yesterday and today. Or more importantly, the story plot. Original? Unoriginal? Plain? Was this theme innovative at that time, has it been resumed? Has it been copied? And many many questions among this path.

It's not that I have much time, but I'm quite happy with this formula as for now.