View Single Post
Old 2009-08-13, 12:07   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
I'm a bit surprised to see it receives an adaptation. The game is only half a year old, and there are many more eroges in 2009 with more sales, ratings, and "hype" which I've thought it's supposed to be the primary selling factor when adapting something.
The VN on Erogamescape (NSFW) is voted quite mediocrish as 75/71, and (I'd guess) its sizeable length explains why 12% dropped the game before finishing it (that's a bit high IMO).
The western players' opinion differ quite a bit from what I've heard. Some seem to recommend it, and other players dropped it due to "it was boring" (quoted).

[...]

As I usually follow (more accurately I try to) most eroge adaptations, I'm probably going to follow that too, but as I said, I'm a wee bit surprised that they are going to adapt that instead of the other, more hyped 2009 VNs.
Well, keep timing in mind as well; it was released right at the very beginning of 2009, so it's a bit early to see announcements for any of the games that have come since. Even so, this is still the #4 top-selling game in the first half of 2009 on Getchu.com, and features high-quality character designs by a popular artist that has had their work animated once before, along with a cast of popular seiyuu. As such, it's a very "merchandise-friendly" title for things like figures, CDs, character goods, and so on. It's also a natural transition as a console title, which the anime will certainly help promote. To top it all off, I think the story is pretty well-suited to anime, both in terms of the plot and in terms of the world/characters/setting -- if given a suitable budget, it should be a relatively nice-looking show. The fact that it has a manga running in Comptiq probably also helps its case; almost every manga that runs in Comptiq is tied to some sort of anime (which makes sense because it's Kadokawa's main bishoujo magazine, and they're one of the larger anime publishers...).

So anyway, I guess I'm not really surprised. This game was quite well-promoted, and though it seems to have gone under the radar in the English community, it was featured extensively in manga Japanese anime/game magazines, again largely on the strength of the popular character designer/artist. And this wouldn't by any means be the first time that a game that scores in the low-70s on EroGameScape gets selected for an anime adaptation -- there's very low correlation between ratings on that site and... well, a lot of things, in my opinion. It's just one data point to consider.

In terms of the game itself... I did finish it to 100% completion, so I suppose I could post some impressions at some point if no one else did. I think the relatively-high amount of "Give Ups" is because the game is quite long (I'd guess may 12-15 hours on the first playthrough?) and has a draggy first chapter, so you need to push through. Once you get to the second chapter and into the epilogue, the game picks up the pace rather nicely, but some might have given up before they got that far. I don't think any of this will be a problem for the anime, though, especially if it only gets 12 episodes.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote