View Single Post
Old 2012-10-15, 00:22   Link #1048
Vena
Carpe Diem

In the hands of a better writer, this ending to Yamamoto could have carried a lot more meaning/feeling. If you took the chapter out of its line-up and looked at in a void, it actually is rather well constructed. The problem is that in context its just abrupt and feels rather rushed, the strongest character in the series gets one shot. His struggling even in death in this chapter would have made a lot more sense if he'd struggled prior to said death but... that didn't happen. And the flashback while good, again in a void, needed more than what little was given to it. (Maybe will finally get to see Shunsui's bankai... and, this may just be me, but it really needs to be him who delivers the finishing blow on Bach. The old man is Shunsui's entire motivation in becoming who he is (and wasn't he said to have an an unique zanpakuto since there's two of them? Wouldn't surprise me if he and the other two-weapons captain weren't the special war potentials... or Unohana.) and Ichigo has as much connection this story as Chad and neither have any place killing Bach.)

Meh. I can't even figure out how stealing the old man's bankai of all things makes any sense. For the other captains I can sort of understand as they are usually weapons and take the form of weapons in some form or another (and usually only have one form and are not physically a part of the wielder or their history), but aside from the one sword form, his bankai is him. How would Bach use any of the other abilities aside from East/North (I don't even see how North is an aspect... all he does is cut, which he could do with East anyway)? The the other two (or at least his necromancy) are seemingly interlinked with the old man's own thousands of years of history, bloodshed, and regret. And it seems a little overly convenient that a man so intertwined with his weapon to the point where they form the weapon together, would so easily have his "other half" stolen.

The only thing that would really salvage this into something sensible would be if Bach trying to use the Bankai ends up completely backfiring in the form of Yamamoto's spirit usurping control of it and killing him. Otherwise its just... stupid? It takes Yama who knows how many thousands of years and countless lives to become that fire demon, and Bach will just pop it out like a Power Ranger badge and gain all its powers? The heck?