View Single Post
Old 2011-01-19, 12:31   Link #11
Mentar
Banned

Here's a sequence of thoughts - beginning from "fairly obvious" down to "blatant speculation".

1) Madoka and Homura have met before in the past - they know each other (99%)

Fairly obvious. Homura knows Madoka, and it's very clear that she's going to great lengths to discourage _Madoka_ from becoming a Magical Girl. She clearly doesn't care if Sayaka becomes one. Homura knows her way around school, and she dislikes Madoka calling her "Akemi-san". They have a joint past - but obviously Madoka doesn't know her. This poses the question: Why not?

Madoka dreamed about Homura right before meeting her. The common factor here was Kyubey, who tried to "recruit" Madoka in her dream by showing a pitiful Homura losing a hopeless fight. Therefore, it's exceptionally likely that their connection from the past had something to do with the Magical Girl business.

2) Madoka has been a Magical Girl in the past (66%)

The most likely explanation I can see is that Madoka's joint past with Homura revolves around being a Magical Girl. And I'll go one step further:

3) Madoka's wish as a Magical Girl has been for a great mother and a loving family (50%)

This is a pure speculation now, but it's one that I give an even money bet. Her family is so sugar-sweet-perfect that it feels fake to me. Artificia. Unnatural. If this entire setup had been genuine, why would she want to become a Magical Girl, all warnings notwithstanding?

4) Homura's wish as a Magical Girl was for Madoka to STOP being a Magical Girl (20%)

While I consider it highly likely that Madoka _was_ a Magical Girl, she obviously is no Magical Girl now. And since I'm 99% sure that you can't simply stop being a Magical Girl on your own decision, something drastic must have happened to remove her from the job.

Here, I suspect that it's been Homura's doing. She saw that Madoka was straining and suffering as MG, and she's been taking it upon her to take things upon herself to save her friend. This would not only explain how Madoka got out, it also explains why she's trying so hard to make sure that Madoka does NOT "reenlist" again. She sacrificed herself to let Madoka live her happy life with the family she wished for - she should NOT make the same mistake again.

So, as a pure unsubstantiated speculation, I suspect that Homura and Madoka were close friends in the past while they were normal. Maybe they were living together in an orphanage without parents, and Madoka was suffering under it. So she gave in to Kyubey's temptation to become a MG in exchange for the miracle of having a loving family. But being a MG made her suffer under the system, so Homura jumped in to "save" Madoka, push her out, and take the burden upon her. And after these two miracles, Kyubey is trying to drag Madoka back in - prompting Homura to try to kill him to prevent this from happening.

5) Extremely blatant pure speculation guess: Madoka's eventual miracle wish will be a reset. (5%)

I'd suspect that Madoka will somehow jump in again without voicing a clear wish. Which will eventually be used to break the system.

So, some detail flags I'd be looking for:

- Does Homura have parents (my guess is no)
- Clues on what was Homura's wish (when Madoka asked, she didn't answer but look very sad)
- Clues about a possible past of Madoka WITHOUT family
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote