View Single Post
Old 2013-02-11, 03:05   Link #1327
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
You're rather mean with Tamako Market...
Just watch the first seconds of the first episode : it's a wonderful piece of animation. You believe the characters are holding hands but they are connected with their sticks : they perfectly managed to animate the physics of a human chain. Plus if you pay attention to each character you see they have their specific motion, it's obvious with the different jumps. Another example is Midori who can be described as stronger than Tamako & Kanna (and that's why she's the center of the chain) according to her movements & physics. KyoAni sure knows how to put a soul in their animation which helps to shape the characters.
The animation is truly fantastic, but it's not a substitute for a good story, compelling characters, or clever direction. Maybe a short cartoon can get away with a shallow story if it has amazing animation and storyboarding, but a full-fledged TV series needs more than that.

I'm not impressed by Tamako Market either. I feel that the characters and premise have some potential for greatness, but something about the show throws me off. I find it hard to really like the characters, and the execution of the slice-of-life aspects feels esoteric and bizarre rather than relaxing or invigorating.

Maybe it's Yamada Naoko's directing. She did a good job in adapting the K-On manga, but Tamako Market is a different beast from K-On despite sharing the same character designer. Maybe Satou Junichi would have been a better choice to direct Tamako Market.