View Single Post
Old 2011-01-28, 14:26   Link #123
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
In actuality, wishing Mami back would work for Madoka. It would alleviate her guilt over not becoming a magical girl earlier, and would be able to then protect Mami by fighting by her side from then on, helping people.
But she doesn't want to be a magical girl, despite her guilt. That's the whole point of this episode - she got a taste of reality of being a magical girl, and finds herself unable to face it. Regardless of it having a chance of bringing Mami back, her current fear of being a magical girl is stronger. This episode was all about Mami, not other people - Madoka crying while thinking of Mami, visiting her empty apartment, discussing the fate of magical girls, her thoughts are focused on mami. And yet, there is no reason for her to ask the direct question of "Can i revive Mami" - because the answer serves her no purpose in present point in time.

Her overriding emotion is not wanting to be a magical girl, not bringing back Mami to life. The later would require the former, and that's a step she isn't ready to take. People don't actively seek out things to make themselves more miserable, and she is feeling miserable enough without a vocal confirmation of "Yes, you could bring her back, if only you had the courage to sign on the dotted line over here ...". Why would she want to hear that ? Like Kanon says, not asking said question is a way to feel slightly less miserable, because becoming a magical girl is out of the question at the time for Madoka. We don't need everything blatantly spelled out, the show's writing is a bit better than that thus far. If anything, i would say asking said question would go against the very thing this episode was establishing with Madoka - her fear of being a magical girl.