View Single Post
Old 2008-09-24, 00:00   Link #42
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Ryoujin

I'm going to guess here that the RAM is your bottleneck, specifically, the huge amounts of swapfile that you're no doubt generating after running games, other apps, etc. Basically, since you only have one gig of RAM, you'll find that the MacOS will run out rather fast - especially if you do anything related to Rosetta, or intensive games/photo/etc editing apps. The OS starts using HDD space as swapfile/page space, and MacOSX doesn't really like releasing the swapfiles it creates very often. In fact, there're only two ways to really get rid of the swapfile - the first is to reboot, which cleans it all out, the second is to log out and log in, which cleans out the stuff that's not active - which I do via terminal, sometimes, with "sudo killall loginwindow", as if you have it set to auto-login, as I do, it automagically logs you back in again. You can also kill 'windowserver' if you like that better.

Otherwise, if you don't feel like rebooting/logging out, and you do leave the computer on for extended periods of time doing multiple things (*and* if you use apps that leak a lot of RAM... say, Azureus or Transmission, older versions of Firefox, anything Flash on any browser, etc) your only real hope is to close as many things down in the background as you can, turn on hard framedrop (-framedrop) or watch Xvid/etc lower quality files.

-Andiyar