View Single Post
Old 2011-11-26, 09:43   Link #88
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
No that's not what he said-
He heavily implied it with the "In the original harems (Tenchi, for example), sure, the girls can kick a ton of ass, but Tenchi himself was just as powerful, or as often hinted, perhaps even more so." bit.

He's clearly implying that he wants harem anime male leads that are the strongest protagonist in the show that they're in (either by himself, or "tied" with other cast members).

Quote:
All he said was that they lack a strong male lead, he did not specify how strong is strong, but more importantly was his last statement about how most male leads these days can't do anything which I just pointed a crap-load that proves him wrong, regardless whether they are the strongest in the story.
I took his last statement as being hyperbole. As hyperbole, I get where he's coming from.

Quote:
Also, while his example is from a harem show, his initial statement did not specify that he was only referring to harem shows, he just said any male lead therefore it does not void any examples I give that isn't a harem show.
I think he was focusing mostly on harem anime male leads though. That this was another implication in what he wrote, imo.

Quote:
But I don't think just because they didn't stand up to certain abuses or unfair treatment, it automatically voids them of all the times they do show strong character.
By the same token, the times that they do show strong character does not void all the times they fail to stand up to certain abuses or unfair treatment.

Many viewers, including myself, greatly dislike that failure to stand up for themselves.

Quote:
Now this is interesting, could you please list out all the super strong harem leads of the old days ? Could you show me how plentiful there were back then ?
One thing to keep in mind is that Ranma ½ ran for seven seasons, so it alone has as much content as seven two-cour anime shows (and that's not counting OVAs and Movies). If you wanted a truly strong (in every sense of the word) harem anime male lead, Ranma Saotome provided that in abundance.

However, I'll get back to you later on these questions. I'll need to sift through some old titles first.

Quote:
(Also, last time I'd watch Ranma 1/2 on AXN, Ranma was totally Akane's little bitch )
Ranma gave as good as he got. No, not physically, but verbally he stood up for himself and was no less 'rough' towards Akane than what she was to him.

So I have to very strongly disagree with your assessment of Ranma here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Is there someone that can replace Ranma Saotome in that role? I really doubt so; there's little to no recent notable material about a guy who can beat up everyone but is uninterested in love.
And that's precisely my point. For those viewers who were introduced to harem anime through Ranma ½, it's quite understandable that some of them would be disappointed with a lot of the harem anime male leads out there.