View Single Post
Old 2009-08-14, 03:57   Link #216
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I dunno...maybe I'm just filled with irrational RT bile, but I thought the novels kinda sucked, too.

I think a lot of it was because I really, REALLY wanted to know more about the three original component series of RT, and I (foolishly) thought that eventually, Carl Macek would say, "Okay, guys, you liked Robotech? Well, NOW, let me introduce you to Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada!" (Yes, that eventually happened, but it took quite a while.)

Instead, I got a bunch of material trying its damnedest to weave everything into a cohesive whole, which was (and is) a project doomed to failure. Nearly every "innovation" in the novels seemed artificial and forced to me.

Still, I read 'em all as they came out (except for books 19, 20, and 21), so there must have been something there that kept me coming back...
Well, to each his own, I guess. I was very satisfied with the final novel "The End of the Line", which had Rick, Lisa, Minmay and others trapped in a parallel universe with the Invid queen, while Max and Miriya were trying to find out what happened to the SDF-1 and crew. It eventually ended with all of them returning to a rebuilt earth, which wasn´t dependent on Protoculture as an energy source anymore, while Minmay stayed behind with her lover in a small tranquil pocket universe, singing to the Invid queen. Sounds a bit strange, but it hung together pretty well, IMO.