View Single Post
Old 2009-10-05, 12:45   Link #244
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
AnimeNewsNetwork has (sofar) 12 episodes on their list. And since I don't see how this lighthearted anime will have more than 13 episodes, seeing cecily training in swordcombat is a poinless waste of time for us. Time would be better spend on the story or the cast.
Well, her getting better seems to be part of the story, and she is part of the cast. Honestly, I thought this should've been obvious or at least expected by now.

Personally, the only thing worth criticizing about Cecily at this point is her armour. Seriously, for something like that to be made of metal is a waste. It might not be as heavy, but it's obvious the anime is blatantly going for something maid-like in appearance.

Cecily announcing her name and heritage is reminiscent of samurai of yore, when at the battlefield they would announce their descent and the accomplishments of their clan. When she pulls out her broken sword it's a symbolic gesture more than anything, showing her dedication to what she believes in, for herself and in front of Luke who refused to forge her a new sword. The problem here is that the 'name-announcing' could get pretty old after a while, and the anime doesn't really need to remind its audience of this fact every now and then.

I think at this point it's utterly silly to criticize Cecily for being such a noob at her profession, because well, that's the point. Characters who start from zero are everywhere, and they exist in order to portray a story of growth. If her character doesn't grow and develop from this, then that's worth criticizing.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote