View Single Post
Old 2010-03-05, 22:57   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Just because an issue was discussed before doesn't mean it should never be discussed again.
Quote:
What is the argument for keeping it as is?
Quote:
I do see the practical use of the positive rep side of the rep system. It can reward excellent and thoughtful posters who regularly make superb contributions to the AS community, and perhaps deserve recognition for that.
Quote:
Again, I respectfully disagree.

I see a logical value to the positive rep side of the rep system. I'm much more skeptical of the negative rep side of the rep system.
  1. The rules say "don't discuss it" and we were told (repeatedly) not to discuss it.
  2. We were never given a reason.
  3. Please realize what you are looking are just a series of average images not a replacement for a person, personality or whatever other personification you are doing.
  4. If you think subjectively like that about it, by all means...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
What I don't like about the rep system is how easy it can be abused. Ranging from "- rep'ing someone for having a different idea than you" to "having a lot of friends + rep'ing each other".

The 2nd is of no matter, but the 1st can turn into a case of on-line bullying, which in Japan and elsewhere, is a serious matter. Kids have killed themselves over this. I don't think that this has happened here, but I'm now wondering if this is a possible source of liability/risk for GHD and the other mods?
Quote:
If neg reps are causing this much "moaning and crying" for some posters on Anime Suki, then what's the point in keeping them?
Here at animesuki you can go into any discussion thread, completly ignore the conversation aspect of being in a forum and just start babling how the show is crap, imply the people watching it are retards, weird or just not into this "cool kids" category "you" have and do whatever other kind of trolling (or some call it "flaimbaiting) you wish. This is considered "expressing your opinion" and you may express your opinion every day of every week. If anyone even tries to defend against your annoying monolog, that someone will get banned because "you" were only "expressing your opinion" (however subjective oxymoronic it may have been). Thing is "you" speaking in general about fans of the anime is never really attacking anyone in the thread with your statements, but if someone in the thread speaking in general about haters of the anime will always be considered to be attacking you. Yes its a double-standard of the forum, learn it and avoid it.

I know I am biased about it, but go read what you said (see quotes) and you'll realize you are also just as biased to one side as I am. Of course like me, you never see the other side's version (ever!) so as far as each of us are concerned there is only "our own truth" and everyone has to bend to it in every situtation.
Since every situation will always be faithful to our side. /sarcasm
Do you understand now what I meant earlier by "subjective"?

ps. Lynnie. Are not people more likely to commit suicide (or whatever it was you were implying) when you take away systems to let them cool-off (such as negative reputation, blocklists etc). I mean don't people suicide over petty thoughts like: "the world is unfair and nobody agrees with me"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I would much rather prefer to have the whole system removed rather that slicing it in half.
/signed (thought really we all know we asked this before, and it won't happen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I do receive trollish neg-reps once in the blue moon, but I never really complained about it, although it does need a way to report these types of reps that deal with abuse. Perhaps showing who made these reps or a button to report them? but probably it's not possible.
There is a system. You go and report to a administrator and they will look into it.

Adding a identity to the reputation is possible (quite easily) but it just gives people the ability to go spam/flame/troll the person in question (nothing more). Are you thinking people use the reputation system because its anonymous? On the extremely rare occasion I send a negative rep (I prefer to blocklist people, its so much more convenient) I'm sending it not because I do not want to send it via Visitor Message or Private Message; its because I'm not allowed to. Sending anything that's even tangibly resembling criticism can and will be considered attacking/spam etc and you will get banned over it. =P

Last edited by felix; 2010-03-05 at 23:12.