View Single Post
Old 2012-12-01, 05:36   Link #2590
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
5 Things Nobody Tells You About Living in Japan:

"Two years ago, I achieved alpha-geek status among my friends by moving to
Japan. Since then, all I've been hearing from them is how lucky I am and how they
would murder any endangered species still clinging tenaciously to existence in
exchange for permission to live in my closet. And I totally get it, because come on,
it's Japan -- the wackiest, most interesting place on the planet. Who wouldn't want
to live here?

Well ... you might not, actually. Because while there are plenty of great reasons to
live in Japan, such as the low crime rate and the amazing public transportation
system, there are a few things you should know before you decide to pack up your
manga and hop on a jet across the Pacific, wearing rabbit ears and flashing peace
signs at everyone who makes eye contact with you. For starters ..."

See:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20118...-in-japan.html
Quote:
Simply put, the country just isn't very accommodating to people who can't speak Japanese. Without the language, you will barely be able to buy food or get around, let alone establish any kind of permanent living situation that doesn't involve keeping a bilingual girlfriend/boyfriend/hostage on hand 24/7 to translate every commercial that comes on the radio. You can't just exchange shouts with people and come to a working understanding like Han Solo and Chewbacca. Real life doesn't work that way.
The West is always quick to pull out "OMG Japs are xenophobic devils" card, but in the same breath publish something like this that goes "OMG Japs don't speak English, they are such uneducated cave dwellers, it's totally offensive that some takoyaki shop owner off the street doesn't understand my Holy Language! Raaaaaage!!"

Yes, I'm totally exaggerating, but you get my sarcasm.

I'd like to tell this guy "Look buddy. I live in America, and I speak English. I LEARNED English. Because I'm not a complete idiot and not decide to pick up the primary spoken language, and blame everyone for not understanding MY language."

As for the "OMG Japs are so 3rd world they don't even have heating!", in the two decades I've lived in Japan, in poverty with a single mother, I have NEVER froze my ass off. We have our own methods of heating, which I doubt this kid even bothered to adopt.