View Single Post
Old 2011-09-18, 17:52   Link #25
hoarfrost

Just when Enishi is beginning to look cool in my eyes. Suddenly, emasculation!

Keep it classy, HanaIro, keep it classy.

That aside, this criticism of him is unfounded. He made the best decisions he could make with the resources he had. A buffet style breakfast to allow more time to prep the later meals, good idea. Featuring work by local artists, not shabby. He broke up the argument when it started. These are the kinds of compromises and decisions you need to make when you run a business, even hospitality. Some might not like change, but then there will also be those inconvenienced by the status quo being inefficient. Is Hanasaku Iroha telling us to stick with tradition even when it only holds us back?

But Ohana comes in with her usual sentimental, inarticulate claptrap and suddenly Enishi's such a dolt and Ohana is so brilliant and competent. I'd like to see her in a management position for just a few hours. Or her mother with her commitment problems and general aloofness, that'll really play over well with guests.

Tl;DR Enishi is incompetent not because Enishi is incompetent, but because the plot demands it. The writer has it out to make him a boob even when there is no justification for doing so. Curiously enough, everything seems to go swimmingly for other's ideas even when there's no rational explanation for the discrepancy.

I'm watching this show eyes rolled at this point. I'm just so irked by this episode that I doubt I can even bring myself to enjoy the romantic resolution, as awkward and hamfisted as I'm sure it will be.