View Single Post
Old 2011-02-25, 18:30   Link #60
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Is it just me or does Ichika have the most useless IS ever? He's got one short-ranged weapon in a sea of long-ranged fighters. The battles consist of him dodging bullets for 1/2 the time and chasing the opponent around for the other half.

Then, when he does finally get in to use his attack, he misses... constantly... using up his own shield power in the process, which, when he finally does get close enough to hit, causes him to power down and get destroyed.

I also don't get what the harem sees in him. He doesn't do ANYTHING. He loses--a lot-- and says a few nice words here and there. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that he's the only guy in an all girl's school, I doubt anyone would even give him a second glance. It's kind of like a woman going into a man's prison-- doesn't matter what she looks like or how she acts, she's still a woman.

There's a lot of good harem leads out there, and a lot of bad ones. Ichika is near the bottom of the list as one of the most useless I've seen, just above Haruto from KNIM.

And I will never understand what the Japanese audience sees in loser and/or butt monkey protagonists. I can understand that the author's want to make characters that appeal to the reader, but I highly doubt Japanese men are anywhere near as pathetic as some of these leads are. I'd prefer characters that are more well-rounded and average-- people who have strengths and weaknesses-- instead of guys who just suck at everything.