View Single Post
Old 2008-11-19, 07:21   Link #44
Mumitroll
Banned

Quote:
look we get it...you don't like the US or its foreign policy, its quite apparent from your vehement viewpoint, But yet again....what is the point of this whole thread, just to bash it seems so far.
what you should get is not that *I* dont like US foreign policy - I made that obvious in my very first post - its that YOU should not like it and know why.

and btw:

Quote:
"Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'."~ Mark Twain

Quote:
and No, the threat of nuclear war is minimal, it is mainly a detente if anything.
how about a single nuclear bomb being exploded in a US city? i think the threat of that is very real - unless US foreign policy undergoes a major change sometime soon.

Quote:
and um mumitroll, your glorious country may not have killed 200XXX in 3 days, but rather 11.5 million CIVILIANS in 6 years
there are several very major differences. 1) almost all of them were the country's own citizens. not people of other countries. and 2) it was done by a paranoid dictator clinging on to power, who was neither elected - like Hitler or Truman - nor blindly supported by the majority of the population - like Hitler or the Japanese government/emperor prior to WWII and during it.

an instructive difference in attitudes between the Nazis and the USSR vs others is in the abovementioned POW treatment. some figures:

German POWs taken by USSR: 3,300,000 POWS that died in captivity: 374,000
Soviet POWs taken by Germany: 5,200,000 POWS that died in captivity: 3,600,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern...II)#Casualties

Quote:
The military estimates would've been in the millions on both sides if the US actually established a beachhead and invaded japan on foot.
oh really? take D-Day for a comparison. casualties: 1465 dead US, 2700 dead UK, ~4000 Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Day

or take the "major" battles of the Pacific front: Iwo Jima and Okinawa. Iwo Jima US casualties: 6,821. Okinawa: 12,513. either barely qualifies as a minor regional conflict on the scale of the Eastern front.

your "in the millions" is completely groundless.

Last edited by Mumitroll; 2008-11-19 at 10:14.
Mumitroll is offline   Reply With Quote