View Single Post
Old 2008-10-06, 14:28   Link #56
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
I don't see why you're arguing about modern jets, when SW isn't set in a modern era. It's a WW2 show; modern jets don't factor into the equation. You can't argue how knights in some medieval era show are useless since you could cut them down with a squad of riflemen, now can you? It's not really Strike Witches any more if you take it out of its setting. I mean, if you can't figure out a way to deal with it with WW2 technology, then those modern jets wouldn't even exist, considering all of humanity would probably be dead.
Because the discussion was about a future setting fan fic featuring said jets... So presumably they did deal with it, but they came back later. I also happen to be interested in the topic because I write crossover crack for my own amusement that involves modern aircraft in the setting hence I'm interested in what others think on the topic.

Quote:
And while it might not be instantaneously fatal, I doubt it's in anyone's best interest to fly into what is essentially poison gas. You might not die immediately, but I'll bet it'd at least incapacitate you to some degree. Ostmark was the first country to fall in the Neuroi invasion, and the entire country, or former country as stressed in the book, is described as a barren wasteland covered in the miasma. That's kind of a wide area of poison gas to cross.
Yeah it would be on the ground, but in a nearly supersonic fighter you could probably breeze by it in less then a hour at 50,000 feet.

Quote:
Even if it doesn't reach very high (and there's nothing saying it doesn't reach as high as their floating hives or higher, considering the hives spew it out as well),
Well if it dosen't reach very high (REALLY high acutally) then the jets can just fly over it so it's a non-issue...

Quote:
most of Book 2 talks about the liberation of one Neuroi-occupied city, where no amount of aerial bombing can put even the slightest dent in the Neuroi forces. They just make new ones by breaking the city down, faster than they can be destroyed, and in the end, it takes a large-scale joint air and ground operation assembled from all over Suomus to really clear the Neuroi out of just the one city. Moral of the story, so what if planes can go over it? That's not going to do anything to help you win the war.
Except you know by your own admission they took back the city with help from air forces. It sounds more like they problem was they just didn't have enough guys to make the bombing work and being able to use normal planes to help drop those bombs would seem to help quite a bit with that.

Last edited by Tk3997; 2008-10-06 at 14:47.
Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote