View Single Post
Old 2012-02-16, 22:47   Link #227
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Indeed, I'm not sure if the number is 90% either. It does vary with context. For instance, I'd argue that in amateur stuff (like fanfiction...) that number comes closer to 95% or 99%.

Generally though, the key thing to remember is that the vast majority of any "genre" of fiction is always absolute tripe, no exceptions.

Now defining what's tripe, and what isn't is difficult. I believe there's a second law floating around that says "As you consult more people, the amount of agreement approaches 0", IE it's impossible to find universal agreement on what's good and isn't good.

Certainly in the manga world, I haven't found a single genre of Manga or Anime that doesn't have a significant amount of generic shit.

As for Anime in particular, I actually think the 10% number holds up quite well. Generally I would have to say that I only think 10% of the anime I see put out is good by any measure. In a season of 15-20 shows, you rarely find more then 2 that you like, and that manage to maintain your liking throughout it's run.

With Manga I'd say the number is less, mostly due to the lower barrier of entry.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote