View Single Post
Old 2009-11-05, 00:04   Link #85
Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statonxyb View Post
Both the Stone Prisoner & Warden's Keep combined are 323 MB. He's most likely referring to the fact that DLC and code redeeming for the PC version has been hell because BioWare's new social site is complete garbage.
Exactly what I meant - the latter that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
... Dwah? Hell? All you have to do is go to the url the card tells you, enter the code, boot the game and download. The game even installs the thing for you. How in the world can you call that hard?
He's right. Yesterday that site was a total mess of things, impossibly difficult to get anything AT ALL done with it. Today I managed to get all of my stuff downloaded, so I'm happy in that aspect but yeah what a pain in the ass, you'd figure the least they could do is set up some sort of in-game system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Mass Effect references
I feel you with those, I myself and a BIG ME fan - can't wait for number 2. This game hearkens back to the days of old school WRPG. I happen to play this game isometrically, though occasionally I'll go into a more third person view point to get a better scope of the landscape ahead. Enjoy it, I mean this is a blast from the past, Baldur's Gate was one HELL of a game, and this one is shaping up nicely.

-

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the "Tactics" systems, seems that though in theory it is a carbon copy of the Gambit system from FFXII, it doesn't actually appear that way. The thing is the game actually makes a point of telling you that it does work the way you think it should but it doesn't. For instance let me give you an example of the what I have my main guy set up with:

Human Warrior lv.4

1. Self - Health < = 25% /Lesser potion
2. Ally - Surrounded by 3 or more / Taunt
3. Enemy - Projectile / Running Shield Bash
4. Enemy - Nearest Visible / Attack

Now logic - or what I at least understand - dictates that my character would perform these actions in sequential order:

1. If health is equal to or under 25% then use a lesser potion.
2. If an ally is being attacked by 3 or more people then taunt will be used in order to relieve ally.
3. If there is a projectile enemy then he takes priority focusing primarily on knock him out with a shield bash then kicking his ass.
4. Attack ANY visible enemy, as in as soon as he sees an enemy he shouldn't wait for my command.

Now I don't quite understand why, but my character does not seem to do that, in fact he is reliant on me to order him around. Though this would dictate that the party leader is in fact under my total control and therefore Tactics are rendered invalid, the game makes you think otherwise. I believe that however, other party characters do follow the Tactics set. I will have to read more on this, if it turns out to be the case then I will be disappointed. The Tactics/Gambit system was put in place, or least stands to me a method of looking at the bigger picture, to have juggle the actions of your character and make tweaks and changes to the others at the same time, seems asinine on the part of Bioware, a rather incomplete idea compared to what Square Enix used in FFXII.

In FFXII you would set up your list of Gambits and you then you would just let them at it, you wouldn't be commanding anyone, in fact most of your time would be spent changing gambits, or making changes and additions to how your characters were fighting, though the orders of attacking, healing, using spells, ect. were done without me having to tell them so. It was almost like a train and you being the operator, the train runs by itself, but you have to continuously keep an eye on it to make sure it ran smoothly. Nothing felt better than making a sick, very sick list of Gambits for your fighting three and then putting down the controller and watching them kick ass, whilst occasionally making changes.

Hmm... this will take some time.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote