View Single Post
Old 2012-01-23, 23:04   Link #27283
Kealym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
And this brings us back to the same fundamental problem with Kealym's theory: Why were Lambda and Bern so cryptic and roundabout in showing the number of people on the island to be 18 when they didn't have to be (according to you, they could just out and say there are 18 people)? Why go out of their way to make extra room for Erika to suspect that the number is not 18?
Alot to reply to. Thanks for the response to my theory about Kanon's body - I did wanna talk about it a little, so I could possibly restate in a more obvious way, so I'll just respond to Wanderer's post, here.

Basically, objections to my theory concern the EP4 Reds about person limits, and the troll-ish nature of Lambda just arbitrarily changing the rules of the game for no reason.

To try and clarify a few things with my theory, it's my belief that :

(1) Kanon's personhood over other similar beings (Imaginary-Kinzo, Beatrice, Ronove, etc.), is an arbitrary distinction made by her, the author, because Kanon's personhood is very, very important to her.

(2) The GM, however, has the right to present any scenario they wanted as true. I would say, in Prime, it's limited only by what a reader may or may not find plausible. For example, I can write a story wherein there happens to be no duct tape on Rokkenjima, and people will swallow it easily (...probably ), even if duct tape were present in prior forgeries. However, people would call foul if I increased the human count by 2, on account of Kyrie's surprise ninja-clones.

(2A) So, what? "I wrote a story where Kanon has his own body." Is that a problem? Are you gonna stop me from writing it? No. You'll either have not noticed Shkanon in prior forgeries, and swallow it (a douchey move on my part, if I intend the prior solution to still be viable), or you WILL have noticed SHkanon already, and say I'm a horrible author / fanfic troll on the internet whose plot has "no love".

I'll try my hand at a sloppy chess metaphor, too - in my head, it's something like, "Shkanon is the standard rule, like a normal chess setup. In EP5, I exchanged one of my pawns for a spare knight piece, and my opponent either was too dim to notice, or maybe they noticed and grumbled "grr, that's not how you play the game..." but played anyways because their victory was still entirely possible.

...I've already admitted that this makes EP5 Lambda and EP6 Battler unbelievably troll-tastic, especially in regards to Erika's ability to solve the logic error - she went into her second game thinking my three knights was the normal setup, even though I was back to only using two. And my check was absolutely hinged on me having the typical amount of available pawns, somehow.

Or something like that.

Last edited by Kealym; 2012-01-23 at 23:09. Reason: detail
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote