View Single Post
Old 2012-10-18, 02:11   Link #85
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
If the main character was fabulous, you'll most likely have girls falling all over him (assuming he is not a jerk). This can easily lead to too many contenders with the MC having to pick and choose before things are reduced to a manageable level.

Most settings are in middle school or high school. You're not really going to have some interesting activities in terms of fiction unless the MC is some special talented person who goes on adventures, known in a speciality, or is generally wacky enough for people to notice. This can lead to either the problem of being too popular or being too great for most people to approach.
Those are the genre typecasts obviously, meeting the criteria of wish fulfilling for the audience.

But there are few that manages to be successful while deviating from those typecast.
Hakuoro from Utawarerumono, and Captain Ohgami from Sakura Taisen franchise comes to mind.
They both share a similar trait of being goofy, and allowing himself to be in a tug-of-war amongst many heroines.
But the difference from typical submissive reactionary harem protagonist was the fact that they were mature.
Within reason, they allow girls to push them around, due to their mature, high tolerence.
But they know when to set foot down when appropriate, with a commanding presense of a leader and a firm conviction.

Unfortunately children protagonists are just that, children.
They don't have the developed maturity of grown men like these two.

I find these guys very awesome and ideal harem heroes for my taste though.
I guess personally being able to relate to age-wise does play a large role.

Aaaand totally 180 turn from those, I also like the complete utter magnificient bastards like Dark Schneider and Rance, because well you know, they just don't give a f***.