View Single Post
Old 2012-09-09, 05:05   Link #1724
magnuskn

I am putting my response to Ozuma-Rii from the movie thread here, because it is germane to the series, not the movie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozuma-Rii View Post
Aha! Gotcha on my turf, magnuskn!
Again with the episode 21!
I think you have a deep misunderstanding as a newcomer whose "turf" you are on.

Only because we veterans don't have much to say these days, because we a.) won and b.) already said it all ten times over, doesn't mean that we don't have an opinion. One honed in a thousand arguments with Ranka shippers.

Quote:
I would like you to review Ranka's character. Do you know that she left to protect frontier? Do you know that she was responsible for both races, the Vajura and the Humans's survival? Heck, if I wereher, I would make th same decisions.
She ran away, because she couldn't deal with Alto preferring Sheryl and because she couldn't deal with the responsibility thrust upon her. She left on a fools errand, a suicide mission with a high chance of killing her and leaving her home unprotected. If things hadn't come together perfectly at the end, she would have been the catalyst of Graces galactic domination. Great job, Ranka, great job.

Quote:
Note that in episode 21, she left on part that she could communicate with the vajura, and that she was also a human, making her the bridge between humanity and the vajura. If you are the hybrid of both race, and you see both races at war because of misunderstanding,would you just leave one race to die? You forget, I say, the importance and gravity of this question on the 16 year old ranka. The fact that she made the decision to attempt to save the frontier and the vajura by doing so is the turning point of her character development, showing how she was maturing and that she was no longer the kid that threw pans at her brother for something stupid. She was willing to forsake herself being with Alto to protect frontier. And, don't go all SDF over me.
Even if we go by your characterization of her ultimate decision to leave Frontier ( and I'd say there are very good grounds to contest it, especially on the topic of how Alto played into her motivations ), it still was a stupid decision. She was running off on a guess and leaving her whole home, her family, her friends to deal with the consequences. She did not have the information that Luca had developed a new countermeasure to block the Vajra communication, that he had developed new weapons to deal with them. She did not know that Sheryl would develop the same song capabilities that she had, due to her illness reaching the terminal stage. For all that Ranka knew, she left Frontier completely helpless. What a great character development!

Quote:
While Ranka grew. Kawamori did the right decision from square one, but because of fan pressure he had to change it. The fans did not understand how this made her grow. Whereas, Sheryl, whom they view to have not betrayed humanity, "takes the center stage" for two episodes.
Uh, and your sources on Kawamoris decision process are?

Quote:
In further episodes, you would find that it is not that Ranka made bad decisions, it is that she was being human. She still suffers emotional trauma, she still is being controlled by Grace. She is not some Mary-sue Messiah like character where she will always make the right choices. So of the "choices" you perceive to be are Grace's coerceing and exploiting of Ranka's emotional weakness. So, there.

No hard feelings, guys.
She continually makes wrong decisions on an emotional whim. She shows little loyalty to her home. She expects to be saved all the time. Sorry, that is a weak character. If you like to think that being continually wrong makes her somehow more likeable, that's your choice. I prefer characters who show some backbone and do the right thing, which is why Alto is my favorite male character. He always tried to do the right thing, even if he did not have all the correct information at times, and thus ended up helping the villains further their plans.

Sheryl was given the option to prolong her life multiple times, but always chose to put the well-being of others before her own. That is an admirable trait, one which is not purely ficticious, but can be observed by different people throughout human history.