Old 2014-06-10, 15:06   Link #190
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I've been wondering.

Has the new Spoiler Policy made source readers more aggressive towards anime-only watchers? I feel that the source readers, in fear of being banned for giving out answers to questions asked by anime-only fans, have been relying on the READ THE SOURCE response in most Anime Episode Discussion threads.
That's never a reason to be a dick. If you can't be a dick without breaking rules, then the rule is working and you need to reconsider your behavior and perhaps even reconsider if you belong in a community that enforces and respects these rules. Plus there's a dedicated thread to redirect any source things.

There are certainly things such as major reveals and surprises that can't be explained without spoiling, however, even bringing up such suggestion is poisoning the well and not a proper means of helping people directing proper perspective.

For example, if someone said there's nothing special about Madoka Magica after the first 2 episodes, it is not proper form to spoil episode 3 as a valid argument. One needs to put it from the perspective of that kind of progress. Furthermore, if someone didn't see anything standout about the first 2 episodes, then there's already problems with the style that may not allow them to appreciate whatever twists the story may bring that others enjoyed.

You have to realize from someone that's already familiar with the material and devoted enough to watch the adaptation is naturally more accepting of the narrative and its styles and themes. You can't treat that as a universal viewpoint at all.

Simply to point out, we have rules that challenge people to actually formulate their arguments instead of source thumping, and I would agree that it increases the level of discussion.

I am a part of certain communities that don't allow cussing. While I strongly disagree with such rules, I don't go around circumventing their word filter just because "omg I have to express myself". And to me, going around the spoiler policy here is no different from that. You're just showing zero respect for the community involved, and there's only one reason for that-- being a self important annoyance and naturally the drama queen complaining when it doesn't go their way is a natural follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
No, it's not about Mahouka anymore. It's more about anime episode discussions in general.
I felt that no one has tried to open a discussion among anime-only fans and those exposed to the source about anime-only stuff out of fear of being banned. That's why most threads have been dead, because nobody can even speculate within the bounds of the anime without treading into spoiler territory, when it's possible to talk about the anime while avoiding stepping on any lines in the process.

I wonder how many users we have lost just because the rules have been too strict when it comes to spoilers...
That's simply false. There's plenty of active threads around here. I mean the Hunter x Hunter doesn't have just 4700 posts of passive-aggressive source readers dominating the discussion, and there's plenty of active series forums. And honestly, I have never seen what you describe to begin with, beyond some mediocre manga/ln adaptations that were obscure to begin with.

You would make a stronger point if you could localize your concerns instead of generalizing the issue since the later approach will quickly invalidate your argument as soon as a contradictory experience is found. I mean take your base argument-- there's plenty of other reasons why a thread would suffer low activity, well it's probably more relevant than the phase of the moon. By how much? I wouldn't know. In general, if one wishes to rant, it's best to go with *I* am impacted with thus, rather then going on something about concerns of the general populace.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-06-10 at 15:39.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote