View Single Post
Old 2009-02-08, 18:04   Link #83
DSDSSDWE
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
If you think the concept of Nakama is too cliche and unfitting for this story, then you've probably been watching One Piece with a wrong perspective.

Luffy did hint that he wants to travel through the seas freely and have many great adventures. But he also says that he wants to do so with his Nakama, right from the start of the story. He starts out looking for a crew, a group of Nakama he can sail the seas with and even now he's still looking for more.

The theme of One Piece is Dreams and Nakama, both of equal importance.
No, I don't think the concept of nakama is unfitting for the story. I do think it's unfitting as the final treasure (if there is one) of the so called king of pirates.

Yes, having a powerful crew so he can realize his dreams, which is to become pirate king, is important. And the pirate king, by his own definition, is so powerful that he can go anywhere and do anything without being stopped by anyone. If anything, that kind of thing is what signifies the "final" treasure that pirates seek.

Pirates becoming the king of pirates to obtain "true friendship" is ludicrous. To me, that would be a huge slap in the face of piracy and of One Piece, which described an age/world of violent piracy.