View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 17:49   Link #3249
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I really don't want to semi-necro post, but this has been bothering me ever since I watched it.

I am what you would call a Christian. I believe there is a God that created everyone and everything and watches over us. However, what interests me about Christianity is that it seems to have different levels. There are those who take the word normally, attend church weekly and wear the cross around their neck simply as a symbol. There are others who believe that preaching to draw in more people is the best method so that they can be "saved". Some live their lives normally, whilst grasping their beliefs and simply trying to do good, and then there are the extremes that believe so strongly that their attachment to society is absolutely dead.

I'm not what you can call a by-the-book Christian, and some may even say I'm not one at all. I don't regularly attend church, I don't wear the symbols about, and I don't preach to others about it. I'm not saying that this is the standard, but thanks to the different levels it could be conflicting to some.

What I do is simply try to be good and do good as best I can. I was a youth group leader for a couple years, mixing a weekly get-together with many kids where they have fun together and end with a simple "down-to-earth" life story that can tie in to a piece of scripture or something like that. What I think is important is that people be allowed to make their own decisions, especially on something as strong as religion. We even had a couple of atheists who were interested in what we were talking about, and we welcomed them to sit in and join. Some of my best friends are atheists, and I don't see why other people have seen that as such a big problem. I've also volunteered at the youth group's summer camp, once again combining fun events with lighter teachings. If someone comes and is sleeping when I talk, so be it. It's not something for everyone, and it's important to respect what their beliefs and interests are.

Even my religious relationship with my parents is very interesting. My parents are Roman-Catholic, and growing up we attended Korean churches that pertained to their specific beliefs. When I was old enough to make my own decisions on the matter, I found that I didn't entirely fit in, so I was soon introduced to Christianity. My parents are fine with it, and I'm fine with them. My mother even studies Taoism and Buddism in her free time; why shouldn't we be allowed to be fascinated with other religions? No religion is perfect, and if we can learn from others, then we'd be better people as a result.

Now, what actually kind of frightens me is seeing the extreme side of religion. Be it anything from forced switching of beliefs, brainwashing, monetary gains through religion, and even religious killings, it's all stuff that I find quite frightening.

This is Part 1 of an 8 part documentary on an American family who hate Americans (and the rest of the world) for drifting from the "perfect path" God supposedly laid out for each and every one of us. They treat the reporter (who voices his own personal beliefs often) like absolute shit, stand on the roads calling soldiers "fags" and any sort of patriotism as "worshipping the flag over God". They even go as far as to bring little children into their events and basically brainwashing them into believing what they do. The kids have no idea what the signs they hold even mean, but they utter the terms "fag" and "dyke" like it's nothing. The entire family has been well nurtured to the point where they don't even date, find friends or even partake in anything "fun" (they ridicule the reporter for even mentioning such a thing). It terrifies me to see this happening, and that children from a young age can be trained to think such things. Here is the first part of the video:

Believing or not believing is one thing, but to break some of a respectable society's most sacred rules is another thing. We don't brainwash people. We don't judge people in a derogatory fashion. We interact with one another. We respect everyone's thoughts. We all live on the same Earth as the same creature, so who's to say that your beliefs are wrong?

I'd definitely like to hear anyone's thoughts on anything or everything I've said. Sorry it was so long and thanks for reading it all.