View Single Post
Old 2013-01-08, 02:58   Link #70
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVN.Chaos View Post
Anyone know what's the name of Kirino's novel?
My raw said it is 妹空(妹空(まいそら)). (Empty Sister :-? ) I have absolutely no idea how to translate that.
I think it's a rather silly pun. The two kanji are "Imouto" and "Sora". But the reading is forced to "mai" (from like "shimai" and "gimai"), which is probably just to be the English word "My". I don't really know how you can represent this sort of pun in English, but I guess you could make it into something like "Sister Sky; My Sky" or maybe twist it into "My (Sister) Sky". If you were a North American anime licensor, you'd probably do "Maisora: Sister Sky", which doesn't make much sense really, but there you go.

(The insinuation of the overlap between "Imouto" and "My" is that the sky is one and the same (shared). So like "My sister and I; Under the Same Sky" would be a really long form. In other words, it's a sibling romance story. It's possible that they were taking some inspiration from "Yosuga no Sora", also a sibling romance story (eroge) released around the same time that also had some funniness about the way it was written (all in katakana).)