View Single Post
Old 2010-12-09, 18:03   Link #19629
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao Ni Ma View Post
The line was drawn by episode 1 I think, during the tea party its clear what the options are. Believe in the witch and try to solve the epitaph - Fantasy or Dont believe in the witch and try to find the culprit - Mystery. Of course Battler doesn't really fight with the mystery genre tools till EP5 where he supposidly finds the truth. He uses anti-fantasy for the most part in the previous episodes.

EP2s intro gave us a fair bit of foreshadowing about what it was, if this is a game it must have rules, for the game to be fair they must be followed. It even tells us about Knox and Dine so at the very least you should look them up. The game also appears to follow other un-written rules about the genre and knowing some of them makes your life a little easier. For this reason I found Rosa to be a far more competent detective than Battler.
And again, we are free to find culprits, we are free to try and solve the epitaph. None of that implies that there is an overarching culprit, or that the series/setting as a whole is a mystery. Even the red and blue that I`m assuming you take to imply rules are mostly on a game to game basis, and the more general ones are used to clarify things (Such as Kinzo being dead across all games). It was never shown that the whole meta setting had such rules, and thus the whole setting does not need to be a mystery or have a culprit.
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote