View Single Post
Old 2011-09-06, 19:38   Link #408
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Episode 49: Taiki's Determination! Surpass Apollomon, the Strongest!

This is the conclusion of the battle against All of the 7 Death Generals with only both DarkKnightmon and Baguramon remaining for the final war match.

I don't recall who in this thread posted about some of the previous series introducing dark themes and more grayish and murkier concepts into their storylines, which were Digimon Tamers and Digimon Savers being the most prominent examples.

However, I do also agree that the theme of death was very pronounced in both Adventure and 02, since the former we got to witness several deaths of key characters from the start to the midway to the last episodes:
- T.K.'s Angemon (but later and quickly was reborned)
- Wizardmon (his death on Adventure felt the most poignant and dramatic to me)
- Leomon
- mentioning a few others.

Then, we have 02 not only featuring key-Digimon deaths, but also showing onscreen human deaths.
- Ken recalling in his memories witnessing his elder brother, Osamu's, accidental death.
- Adventure as well gave a brief reference to Izzys' parents deaths.
- Even in Adventure mentioned other sad themes like both Matt and T.K.'s parents being divorced.

The meaning as to why I'm bringing up this stuff is that Xros Wars has as very well matured and grew, particularly since the Death Generals saga started with introducing, setting, and fleshing more gloomy, dark, and murky themes, rather than staying as a black-and-white, fantasy adventure where good triumphs over evil with no need for sacrifices.

A poignant climax was reached when Taiki finally matured in both his character and resolve that there are times and situations that call for the need to bury and shut his own heart, in order to achieve victory when his comrades survival is at the very stake. The Hell's Field mini-arc was the ripe time to fully make him to grow from his overly kind self; Taiki's overly kindness did not annoy in any way, because it got balanced with Kiriha's previous cold, calculating, war-like nature.
I give kudos to the writers for setting up two opposing natures into perfect balance with dynamism.

We got as well Yuu's full realization and repentance for his actions, particularly watching Damemon's temporal death before his eyes, evokes within him memories of his grandmother's death.
Spoiler:

So, folks I got only five more episodes remaining before the conclusion.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote