Thread: World of Tanks
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-27, 10:28   Link #4403
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

You know the theory about how to play the T20? Flank, shoot, run, hide, flank, shoot, run, hide, and never go head to head?

I thought that was bullshit. I thought, "how the **** are you going to apply that on a losing situation? They're going to overwhelm me, they're going to see a crunchy target, and I'm going to die."

Well, occasionally it works. I should have captured it on video, it was as perfect a T20 game as it gets. I did everything I was supposed to do as a T20. Mastery badge and highest experience, and the sniper medal is proof -- in a T20 with its slow 90mm gun, every shot does just that much more to save your team.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Here's how this little classic went:
  • The map is the small Widepark map, the one with the large northeast lake and with the rail line cutting the map into north and south. We were the south side.
  • The team largely went west. I went east.
  • I did the classic medium tank trolling on the rail line, using the heightened rail ground to run around seeking opportunities. Wasn't very useful, really, except delaying the enemy advance on the east by my very presence. I got only one shot in. My teammates in the east fell one by one.
  • The situation turned critical as the enemy finally gathered courage (and did enough damage) to try to make a center breakthrough. The west was under heavy fighting. We had about half the team alive, while the enemy was still very strong. I thought the game was lost.
  • I delivered some shots on the charging force, then ran the hell back into cover -- this is south side, so plenty of city to hide. My VK ally at the center had to hold ground alone -- I saved him when I shot an enemy that was flanking him. Hope!
  • We pushed west to rescue our battling teammates. I delivered very satisfying flank shots after flank shots, with the enemy too busy to target me. This is where T20 really tipped the scale. Enemy heavyweights fell under our remaining team's combined firepower.
  • In the meantime, the last of our teammates east lost to the enemy TD assault (our clanmate clearmedium was one of the TD's)
  • With the west battle victorious, the four surviving tanks turned east and took down the TD's. I shot clanmate clearmedium remorselessly (), then the team surrounds, tracks, and annihilate the dangerous Jagdtiger 8.8 cm. Comeback victory; brofist.

So what's the lesson?
  • T20 doesn't hold ground. My running the hell away from the eastern and center attacks saved the game, because I lived to deliver most of the damage after. I should run more, if things get bad.
  • T20 gun is effective, but slow. Every shot counts. If I missed one shot to save the VK, both of us would fall and we would have lost. I should aim to...aim better. I will not always be able to flank like this.
  • T20 is deadly against distracted enemies. I put in most of my damage while the enemy was brawling our other fighters. I should be more cowardly, but not campy. It's not my job to brawl.
  • T20 is fast, but it's not for circle-strafing. The speed was brilliant for "tactical redeployment" from one flank to another, allowing me to appear where I was most needed, but I wouldn't have survived trying to circle-strafe anyone. I should keep moving and never stop.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote