View Single Post
Old 2013-03-18, 06:21   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
With all due respect, as an editor, I call bullsh*t on such arbitrary categories of quality.
Sometimes you have to generalize and/or simplify things in order to clarify a point (consider the often-cited Sturgeon's Law, for example). While this generalizing and/or simplifying will certainly cause there to be exceptions to an argument, it also makes clear where the argument applies.

Guilty Crown is a show with exceptional visuals and an exceptional OST. However, it also is a show that has been widely bashed and hated on for the perceived weaknesses in its writing quality. That shows that there is a limit to how much audio/visual quality can cover up perceived writing weaknesses.

Nonetheless, there are some anime shows that garner much more positive attention for their visuals and/or their BGM/seiyu work than for their writing quality. A lot of these have generally Ok writing, but their stories would not look that impressive as just a script on paper. Visual and audio quality are obviously major difference-makers for these anime shows.

Quote:
Such categories work only for the purpose of critique and discussion,
And that's the extent to how I'm using these categories here on this thread.

Any serious rating system would have a scale greater than just 1 to 3. I don't deny that.

Perhaps it would have been better if I had explicitly used a Bell Curve analogy for my three categories. You can think of the 1st and 3rd categories as being the extreme ends of the Bell Curve of writing quality in anime. The 2nd category is the great mass of shows that fall between those extreme ends, and yes, there definitely is a significant range of quality variation within that 2nd category.

Quote:
As for the original question, I agree with Warm Mist. Anime is first and foremost an audio-visual medium.
So do you think that writing quality is completely unimportant to the quality of an anime show?

Quote:
Animation doesn't even need a script to tell a heartwarming story,
Even if so, such animation is very much atypical. The vast, vast majority of anime shows have scripts.

If we're going to talk about the role that art/animation and sound applies to anime as a whole, I think it's more productive and instructive to focus on the overwhelming majority of anime shows that have scripts.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-03-18 at 06:34.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote