View Single Post
Old 2008-06-13, 20:31   Link #131
herbert

Sorry, I didn't see your post yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
You can't have it both ways. You can't say a mislead is the same as lying for Ranka but not for Alto. And she only mislead him because she was too shy to ask him if he was going out with her. She was building up to the question until she asked him straight out if he was alone and he lied.

Michael and Luca already knew and even the girls in the back heard about it. People even recognized Sheryl when she was with him running to the train. It wasn't a national secret. Sheryl certainly didn't tell him to lie about it. So I don't see the reason as him protecting her.
It's only misleading if you must have it in this way, but misleading is as bad as lying sometimes. Shyness doesn't justify. Misleading or lying, she is not honest right? She is not honest to Alto then she has no right to Alto be honest to her.

Mikhail knows and Luca may know as well, how comes Alto knows about those girls eavesdropping when Mikhail gets all his attention. Moreover, let me assume that it perhaps is already an open secret and Alto knows it's, it's still moral to not speak it out yourself. It's no wrong for Alto to show some caring towards Sheryl, especially it's not Ranka's business. Please don't overlook the first and most important reason I cited, it's not Ranka's business. Alto does a little misbehaving to protect much larger goodness. I see no wrong in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
Even if we were to throw out all her other reasons and make jealousy only/primary reason she took the part, which of course it wasn't, I don't see it being a negative character development. Can jealously lead to bad things? Hell yes it can. Can it lead to good things? You bet. If jealously gave her a measure of courage to pursue her goals then their nothing wrong with it. Can love cause you to do bad things? Yep it can. No emotion is good or bad. Its what you do with those emotions thats define you. You hate criminals so you become a cop. Bad thing? Would it have better if she didn't overcome her fear and shyness? Maybe a positive character development would have been if another paper airplane inspired her.
Yes, jealousy, anger, hatred, and many other negative emotions don't necessarily lead to negative outcomes. But we are not talking about outcomes, are we? We are talking about character development. It's true those emtions not necessarily lead to bad results but they do lead to bad results and much more often than not.

Jealousy is a dark emotion. Overwhelming Jealousy is a extreme dark emotion.