View Single Post
Old 2006-10-19, 21:32   Link #149
yakuri-moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergol View Post
Yes, the anime did not go as deep as the game, but it couldn't. The formats are different. It just wouldn't work - same as why Peter Jackson couldn't include everything from the LOTR novels in the movies. He would have ended up with three eight-hour-long, extremely boring movies. One format does not translate easily into another. Something has to give. That's just how it is. The fact that the Higurashi anime was good, compelling, and enjoyable says that they made just about the right choices in what had to give way, and where.
I completely agree. What one reads from books and what actually appears in the movie screen are two completely different things. There is some stuff that works well in one format only, and some in the other. I don't go listening to music while reading a book, mostly because I don't pay attention to it, I'm busy reading.

For example in Higurashi games, you can see the text changing colors to show the mood of the characters. Complete narrations or thoughts sound cool in the game but are cheesy in the anime (I've read some posts saying sth similar to this).

I'm actually glad the anime doesn't show the last two game episodes, because that way I can get the games and practice my japanese. After all THE original story is the game; what better than getting the ending in its original format? (sorry for the people who won't play/won't or can't buy/are lazy-asses who won't get the ending asides reading in this forum)