View Single Post
Old 2007-08-29, 07:22   Link #99
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Kanji Lession - Little River Wood
When Konata was talking about how the Izumi Loli family cool down in their air-conditioned faimly room, she mentioned that the there of them looked like the kanji "小" (Shou, small). Kagamin then counted, shouldn't it be the kanji "川" (Kawa, river)? As you can see from the kanji itself, Kawa looked like three vertical strokes, which could be seen as three people lying down side by side. Kona said it's more of a Shou, meaning that while the middle stroke (jiji) is veritcal, the other, much shorter strokes are diagnal toward the middle, which is similar to two small, lilo-like HS girls sleeping on on the arm of a blue-haired middle age lolicon. Actually, Kona-chan, it's more like a "木" (Ki, tree) with his arm sticking out like that, but we all know how you really don't like kanji in general, so it's okay.

The kanji Shou, Kawa, and Ki
This one made a small amount of sense while watching the show too because Guerrand made a quick explanation as subbers notes. Pretty clever joke on the writer's part imo.

Quote:
Quick Reference - the D: Drive in a Windows computer is usually the CD/DVD drive. Since they're not pasokon-otas, it's unlikely they have more than one HD or knows how to re-partition their C:. That means Konata is counting on the fact that her jiji would be too embarassed to check out what's in Kona's D DRIVE.... ho ho ho... But I'm probably sure that her dad DOES indeed check her pasokon and is most likely crying with joy at the amount of eroge Kona plays.
Eh, I'm not sure, if they share all of the games they have seeing as how Kona-chan's dad handles all the storage of said games, I would think it's probably a second HD where they store any uh "special" downloads or other such files. I could be wrong however, and when I was a teenager trying to hide things on my computer from my folks I would do something a lot less obvious then dedicating an entire drive too it hah.

Quote:
YassaiMossai - When she woke from her nodding, she mentioned the name of a famous Dance (やっさいもっさい踊り, YassaiMossai Odori) performed every year during the Fireworks festival for the City of Kisarazu (木更津市)in Chiba.
Looks kinda like the macarena from that particular photo.....I hope it's nothing like it.

Quote:
Classroom Notes
Unlike the West, the difference between each grade in a school is significant. The first years respect and obey all upper classmen, while the second year just started to lord over the first year. The 3rd year act like kings and queens and constantly pull rank on the their kouhais. As you might notice, your average Japanese student has problem getting to know a person from another class in their own grade, so it's almost impossible to know a student from another grade outside of a club setting (but even in a club, senority rankings exist).

Most Japanese schools also split the home rooms for each grade on different floors - That's why most Japanese schools has 3 or 4 floors. What this means that unless you have a good reason, you'll almost never get to visit the floor of another grade; thus Yutaka has to ask around to find 3-Nen-B-Gumi. If an lower class visit an upper class floor, he or she will be intimidated because every one of them can order the kouhai around, while the reverse is true. Konata however never got that senpai smugness in a lower-class floor because, well, eh, she looked like a 6th grader.
That sounds pretty harsh, that's one nice thing about American schools at least. I took a lot of upper level courses early so I mixed in with mostly older students in many of my classes. Although I went to a default public school, I guess if you have to take an entrance exam to a high school that the school would have a student body with more similar abilities and less of a need to put people in higher or lower levels within each grade level.