View Single Post
Old 2011-09-27, 13:21   Link #1
Puddingman

Favorite Traditional Asian Literature

Hey all! I was thinking that since this site is dedicated to some aspects of modern Asian culture why not explore the traditional stuff? In particular I'm thinking of Literature. Let's offer some cool books we've read and a short explanation about them!

Tale of Genji-A story about a boy growing up in ancient royalty. The book mostly follows his adventures, mostly running around trying to get the ladies . It's very poetic though.

Dream of Red Chamber- Haven't read this yet actually but it's supposed to be a famous piece of Chinese Literature.

Tales of Ise-A collection of about 100ish short stories (very short, some a paragraph long) where a narrative is usually given and then a poem is recited by the character.

Dao de Jing- Chinese philosophy book. Pretty cool, uses kind of circular language. It's discusses methods for feeling content in the world. It's isn't technically a religious text but that's sort of the idea (as in how Bible=Catholicism, Dao De Jing= Daoism). Or maybe it's Christianity, I don't know much about religion .