View Single Post
Old 2010-09-25, 20:48   Link #22
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Oh wait!! Civilization V is out now?? *Rushes to the Store*
You can also buy Civ V on Steam. =)

My only complaint is the major lag at 200+ turns with many NPCs. The lag is two-fold: the natural turn time for NPCs can be long, but expected. Then there's the temporary client freezing as my turn becomes active, when the game processes all the upcoming events for me (and proceeds to spam my screen with notifications). I run a pretty beefy system too; i7 Quad 3.6Ghz, 6Gb DDR3 (could use more), GTX 480. Visually the game is amazing, I'm probably playing at a smooth 60 FPS+. The music is fantastic.

One tip.. turn on "Quick Combat" for subsequent large games. The animations are impressive, but after 200+ turns you tire of them and crave for faster combat. :P I wish there were a setting to only show new animations, meaning once you've seen an animation for the first time in a game it wont show it again. (that way you can see animations for new units).

Edit:
Another tip, probably a newbie one (I haven't played a Civlization game since III so that includes me).. make your "Turns Between Autosave" set to 1! The default 10 is too long for huge maps and many NPCs. My game crashed at one point, and those 10 turns was more than an hour worth. =( (I was engaged in war with some 6 different civilizations at once so turns were incredibly long)
velocd is offline   Reply With Quote