View Single Post
Old 2007-05-15, 04:47   Link #811
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Recently I became somewhat interested in the ISO standard, and I'd quite like to know whether VFR MP4 files can be played on standalone devices, like the XBOX360, PS3 and so on. Therefore I have encoded one of the files that were lying around on my drive. Here's the link to it. It contains a read me file too.

I'd be really glad if someone could try that out on their device. So far it has been reported to play correctly in QuickTime under Mac OS. Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding between me and the person who tested it, where I thought that he had an AppleTV. However he said that as Apple claims, that whatever plays in QT works in iTunes and AppleTV too, so I'll just take his word for it then...
I can tell you yes without even trying it. From how I understand it, mp4 files store a timestamp with each frame, as opposed to having a list of framerates.

Framerate is actually a derived quantity for mp4s, and not stored directly anywhere (except for the header, but that's mainly for show, and isn't used in playback).
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote