View Single Post
Old 2011-04-10, 00:50   Link #1084
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Before I get to the commentary backlog, let me just pick out something that is relevant to some of the recent discussions...
----

From the commentary for episode 18Perhaps some of us are forgetting that Alto and Ranka are just 17 and 16 respectively? And before anyone comes back at me with "but Sheryl is only a few months older, so they have no excuse!"...

...besides the fact that Sheryl's age is 'self-proclaimed' (at least, that's what was written in the character description at the Sunshine 60 tower exhibition a month ago), Sheryl has had a wealth more experience than either of them. That's why they both took so much inspiration from her. It's called character development...

I know I personally wasn't that 'together' when I was 17, and I'd be very surprised if any of you claim you were.
That's a fallacy, which I am surprised to see expoused by a writer of the show. But then I am still surprised that Yoshino thought of Alto as indecisive.

Anime predominantly has teenage protagonists. A lot of that is playing to the expected audience, of course, but given the sort of stories anime tells, adult protagonists also would fit very well, so it always seemed to be more of a cultural thing to regularly put teenagers as the only ones who can pilot giant robots.

As such, shows that have a more adult tone ( and I'd put Macross Frontiers latter episodes squarely into that category ) most times gloss over the age of their protagonists. In the specific case of Alto, he was shown as hotheaded and unsure of his way of life in the earlier part of the show, but by this point this has mostly receded and I think waving off his self-reflection because of his age is a mistake.

And I remember that I was pretty much an idiot at seventeen, but I did have a lot of self-reflective thoughts, only that I had much less life experience. But then I also wasn't a combat pilot who had killed multiple times by this point. So I am not sure which point Kikuchi was even trying to make here.

And I don't think Sheryl is much older than the others. Maybe 18.

Quote:
[karice: !! meaning she's at least 3/4 years older than Michel?]
Or a genius, which I woudn't put past her.

Quote:
11:30 - Macross F was always evolving as they were producing it
Kikuchi: the ending was set in stone, but the 'how will we get there' kept changing. Yoshino-san would propose something crazy, which would be shot down by Kawamori-san, only for Kawamori-san to propose something crazier...and then Yoshino-san would add more
Yoshino: and then Kikuchi-san would add something good, it became like a stampede (of ideas)
If there wouldn't be those interviews where they said that having the ending like it is was a last-minute decision, I'd say "Oh, so that is why there is such a great difference between episode 24 and 25!".

Thanks, karice, for the translation!