View Single Post
Old 2013-09-04, 14:46   Link #489
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin1127 View Post
The thread of Kyousuke's romantic development seems much more obscure. Kyousuke's strongest characterization has got to be his brotherly affection for Kirino. From readily accepting her otakuness, many times consulting Manami about her sister, to taking a punch to the face from father to protect her sister is about as big brother as you can get. Then evolution from there into love was lost on me. The anime did show Kyousuke reacting jealously over Mikagami but what other gradual sign that Kyousuke saw her sister as a potential lover I cannot recount. It is only after the repetitious confessions that I just allowed myself to be convinced as that's how it is.
I'd say it's explained in large part with:

Quote:
Maybe because of the show needing to keep some suspense alive until the last 3 episodes that everything was more hidden then it need be.
It was absolutely written this way to keep up the suspense, and keep people wondering what would happen. (The tagline for the finale was "who's he going to choose?" after all... though realistically there weren't really that many viable options.)

By the same token, I would say that things started building from the true ending of the first season with his "confession" to Kirino in America. The extent of his confession there and the amount he had bonded with her (and she with him) was suspicious, and this got reinforced again in Ria's episode in this second season. This led right into the jealousy arcs and Kirino's declaration in front of Kyousuke and Kuroneko (and the resulting agreement between the two of them about not dating). This was followed by their separation and Kyousuke's determination to hurry back home to be by Kirino's side (despite others continuing to express interest).

I think the romantic signs from Kyousuke were definitely increasing in a linear fashion, but in people's mind there was always the idea that it could all be dismissed as really-really-close sibling affection if Kyousuke chose someone else, because no matter what happened Kirino and Kyousuke will always remain siblings. If Kirino had any other kind of relationship with him that wasn't familial, it would have been way more obvious. The author absolutely played this to his benefit in keeping people guessing.

Quote:
While Kyousuke is now in an awkward situation with feelings that weren't there before and would likely want to pursue those feelings further. Kyousuke's flirting at the end felt like watching ex-lovers who agreed to go back to being friends but the guy is still looking for benefits. So if anyone is going to make a move, it's probably onii-san.
Well, yeah -- that's pretty consistent with Kirino's attitude all along. Like I said, she'd had many years to come to terms with the fact that her feelings were probably doomed. Kyousuke is the only one who can prove her wrong, and he'd have to take the initiative. I'd say that's indeed what that closing scene was trying to show.