View Single Post
Old 2009-08-24, 10:27   Link #159
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaguer View Post
10/10. Perfect.

Honestly when I first watched the anime, I thought it's another shitty one but I'm wrong, totally wrong. Like JiYoN said, the only downside is it had to end. I wish it will have more episodes.
Btw, what's a tsundere character?
That's actually a long story, but I'll try to type up a short explanation.

The tsunderekko is a female character with a tsuntsun side and a deredere side, hence "tsundere". Think of tsun as cold, cranky and dere as a softer side which usually makes the character seem more vulnerable, more shy and lovestruck.

Originally the tsundere was a character that went through a certain character development - "the defrosting ice queen". She was a character that started out being very cold towards everyone or possibly only the protagonist and ended up being much softer and much warmer, usually after having fallen in love with the protagonist and after having finally managed to come to terms with her own feelings.

Today the phrase refers to someone who is switching back and forth between her tsuntsun side and her deredere side. You can also split these characters up into two different groups depending on if their default state (the side most commonly shown) is tsuntsun or deredere. Type A or "Type Tsun" is way more common. In this category you'll find lots of famous tsunderekkos like Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kaname from Full Metal Panic!, Kallen from Code Geass or Kyou from Clannad... just to name a few.

These characters are usually showing off their tsuntsun sides but certain "objects" (usually their love interests) manage to trigger their deredere sides. This usually comes with heavy blushing and stuff like that, as if they themselves are embarrassed by their own feelings. Most Type As generally deny their behavior. As soon as they regain their composure they often try to force themselves back into tsuntsun mode in order to "save face". These "modern" tsunderekkos usually go through character development that is very similar to that of the defrosting ice queen, but these girls seldom end up having suppressed their tsuntsun sides completely. It's much more common that a Type A transforms into something that resembles a Type B (as in "dere" being her default mood instead of "tsun"). Anyhow, it's not like the "current" definition has completely overwritten the old one but when one refers to someone as being "tsundere" he or she is most certainly getting at the fact this character is switching back and forth between tsun and dere due to her being triggered by "her object(s)". Kyoto Animation spent an entire Lucky Channel segment (from Lucky Star) talking about how tsundere used to be defining a certain character development but that it's now defining a character switching back and forth between these two states.

One problem with the modern view of the tsunderekko is that she is often badly handled by directors, producers and writers. The tsundere behavior is considered an effective moe-trigger these days, and a lot of shallow characters appear that simply "are tsundere" and they don't have much else that they bring to the table. These characters simply exist in order to be put into situations where their deredere sides are triggered, just so that they can blush like there's no tomorrow and light flames of moe in the chests of the viewers. I personally have no respect for these characters. Then again, there are lots of really well written/well handled tsunderekkos out there. My two favorite female characters (of all time) are Type A tsunderekkos.