View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 11:31   Link #102
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonae View Post
I don't remember the novel or anime said the society expects adolescents to have a same-sex lover.
A few episodes back, we saw that almost everybody in this school was paired off with a same-sex lover. Mamoru was the only exception I noticed, and that's because of how massively committed he is to Maria.

Now, you have an official procedure by which each person is paired off with someone of the opposite sex. Why is this kept until adulthood? Why the sudden, widespread change from homosexual relationships to heterosexual relationships?

We know this is a tightly controlled society. So I think that the implications, at this point, are clear.

Quote:
By the way, I'm surprised so many people care about the characters so much. For me, this anime/novel is uniquely interesting because the characters didn't interest me at all, at least until the very end of the novel.
Honestly, what you're writing here makes no sense at all to me.

Yes, I can get how a fictional world can be interesting/fascinating in and of itself, and that certainly is the case with Shin Sekai Yori. But there's no way I could care about such a world unless I cared about at least some of the characters in it.